Welcome! I'm Riv Re, teenager and aspiring author. I post Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Tuesdays are for book reviews; Thursdays are for a weekly meme called "Character Dolls," which showcases character depictions I made online; and on Sundays I just wing it.
This blog is for my writing misadventures, my reviews, ramblings, and rants. My favorite genre is fantasy, so expect a lot of the unusual.

Warning: I've got an awful sense of humor. Don't blame me if you keel up and die from reading the jokes I crack.
Notice: I hold no responsibility for any deaths caused by previously mentioned jokes.

Enjoy and happy reading!

Current Book Showcase-Starling by Lesley Livingston Trailer!
(What's Book Showcase? Click HERE!)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Willow Review

Hey Blogger Buds,
Sorry, I thought this posted yesterday! Some thing wonky happened, and it went up wrong! So here's my review today!
I have no idea what to post, hence the lack of an updated RC, so I pulled up an old review I wrote. I read Willow a while ago, and it was interesting. Linkage below, of course.

Blurby:
Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen year- old Willow’s parents died in a horrible car accident. Willow was driving. Now her older brother barely speaks to her, her new classmates know her as the killer orphan girl, and Willow is blocking the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when one boy—one sensitive, soulful boy—discovers Willow’s secret, it sparks an intense relationship that turns the “safe” world Willow has created for herself upside down.
Told in an extraordinary fresh voice, Willow is an unforgettable novel about one girl’s struggle to cope with tragedy, and one boy’s refusal to give up on her.

Review:
Willow was weird, at first. It took me about 50 pages before I realized what the problem was; it was written in a format I've never seen before; third-person present tense. Meaning it has sentences like; "Willow cries as she thinks about it all". (I completely made that sentence up.) I lent the book to a friend when I finished with it, and when I asked her if she thought the writing was weird, she said yes and I had to explain the problem.
Willow's a character you feel bad for. She's not a great kid with a lovely personality. I did have a problem with Guy, the one who discovers Willow's problems. My sister likes that he was named "Guy" like he could be anyone, but personally the name gets on my nerves. Guy as a character got on my nerves, too. The summary I read of the book describes him as "a sweet and sensitive boy" with problems of his own. Guy has no problems, at least none as major as Willow's. And his initial reaction to finding out what happened was something along the lines of "I don't need this right now. I'm on my way to college, I don't need this kind of worry on my head right now." There was nothing "sweet and sensitive" about him.
The book was slightly open-ended. It was obvious what happens after, but I'm the type of person that likes a book to be sealed up tight.
Overall, it was an okay book. I wasn't wowed.

Linkage: Amazon Goodreads BN Borders BookDepo

***3 stars

Peace,
RR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! Feel free to link to your own blog, but no spamming!
I respond to comments via email, if you're attached to blogger. If you're not, I use blogger's "reply" feature!