Welcome! I'm Riv Re, teenager and aspiring author. I post Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Tuesdays are for book reviews; Thursdays are for a weekly meme called "Character Dolls," which showcases character depictions I made online; and on Sundays I just wing it.
This blog is for my writing misadventures, my reviews, ramblings, and rants. My favorite genre is fantasy, so expect a lot of the unusual.

Warning: I've got an awful sense of humor. Don't blame me if you keel up and die from reading the jokes I crack.
Notice: I hold no responsibility for any deaths caused by previously mentioned jokes.

Enjoy and happy reading!

Current Book Showcase-Starling by Lesley Livingston Trailer!
(What's Book Showcase? Click HERE!)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Iron Legends Review

Hey Blogger Buds,
As you know, from this post last week, I obtained a book. And I would have happy-danced when I obtained it, if not for the face that there were people around. You know, real people. The normal kind. But I've finished this book and, as expected, loved it. In case the title of this blog post didn't tip you off, I'm talking about The Iron Legends by Julie Kagawa.
My review is split up a bit differently today, since The Iron Legends is an anthology.
I don't have time to get the "Add it on Goodreads" picture, so ADD ON GOODREADS.

The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)
Blurby (based on Goodreads summary, slightly chopped up):
Enter the world of the internationally bestselling Iron Fey series. Dangerous faeries. Heartbreaking romance. Thrilling action and limitless adventure. The world of the fey has never been so powerful. This collection includes three novellas set in the world of the Iron Fey plus the Guide to the Iron Fey with exclusive information about Julie Kagawa's unforgettable world of Faery.
Winter's Passage
Summer's Crossing
Iron's Prophecy
Three Iron Fey novellas for the first time in print!

Review:
tl;dr review: Two of these stories were a reread for me, and it was so sweet to revisit characters, especially to see Meghan how she was after only one book.
full review: I've split my review up by story, so let's cut to the chase, yes?
WINTER'S PASSAGE
I think I enjoyed it much better the first time around. Julie's writing has really improved, as well as her characters. Meghan annoyed me a bit, way too full of adoration, and way too obsessed with Ash running his hands through his hair in frustration.  The story was steamy, but a bit dull.
SUMMER'S CROSSING
This was, by far, my favorite, both times around. Puck is just hysterical, and awesome, and brilliant. Julie Kagawa is a genius, and fits very comfortably in his head. (Too comfortably?) If someone wants a taste of the Iron Fey, and Julie's writing, without actually reading the series, read the series anyway read Summer's Crossing. It embodies Ash and Puck perfectly, and gives you a taste of the story without confusing you too much with back story. The story was a bit predictable, though there was this neat bit of foreshadowing that I missed the first time around. Puck will always be my favorite. <3 p="p">
IRON'S PROPHECY
This story was so sweet. Ash is adorable in this one, like a little puppy, and Puck isn't moody, like I was afraid he would be. Meghan is strong and powerful, and the only thing I wish from the story is that it was longer. Being a novella, it was, of course, short. But the story felt very large, like Julie had a [nother] genius idea, but she had to pack it into 60 pages.
EXTRAS
In the back, there was an extended guide to the Nevernever, with three warnings before it, as well as an interview with Julie, a trivia game, and some other things. I'm ashamed to admit that I only got 16 or 17 of the 20 trivia questions right. (It was a "guess who said this quote" kind of thing.) The best part of the whole thing was Grim, who had the occasional comment on everything. Also, scattered throughout the book was chibi-fey drawings by Julie, that were really adorbs. =D

Rating: 4 stars.

Peace,
Riv

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!


    Personal Injury Attorney Ct & Accident Attorney Connecticut

    ReplyDelete
  2. dsl cable Gemstelecom provide fast reliable dsl cable internet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! Feel free to link to your own blog, but no spamming!
I respond to comments via email, if you're attached to blogger. If you're not, I use blogger's "reply" feature!