Welcome! I'm Riv Re, teenager and aspiring author. I post Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Tuesdays are for book reviews; Thursdays are for a weekly meme called "Character Dolls," which showcases character depictions I made online; and on Sundays I just wing it.
This blog is for my writing misadventures, my reviews, ramblings, and rants. My favorite genre is fantasy, so expect a lot of the unusual.

Warning: I've got an awful sense of humor. Don't blame me if you keel up and die from reading the jokes I crack.
Notice: I hold no responsibility for any deaths caused by previously mentioned jokes.

Enjoy and happy reading!

Current Book Showcase-Starling by Lesley Livingston Trailer!
(What's Book Showcase? Click HERE!)

Thursday, February 9, 2012

When I Play With Doll-Makers: Lola Nolan

(from Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins)
Hey Blogger Buds,
New weekly (hopefully) meme (hopefully) time! I have no idea what to call it, so PLEASE leave me any name suggestions!

"When I Play With Doll-Makers" is a weekly meme here at Riv Reads every Thursday. Doll-making websites, like elouai, are my guilty pleasure, and I figured that while I'm on them, I might as well fan-girl a bit! And while I'm doing that, why not share some of my creations on the blog?
Please don't use this meme without express permission from myself first.
Unless otherwise stated, all dolls are made with elouai.

There you go! A virtual doll every Thursday, special for YOU my blog readers. I ask that you do NOT claim these as your own, or alter them in any way (of course, you can make your own, and if you do I'd love for you to link them in the comments!) that they can pass as your own while still being mine.
Please don't use my pictures without my permission either. If you want to share some of the dolls, you can link here, or you can ask and I'll be happy to let you share them. If I allow the latter, I ask that you do NOT cut off the "elouai" label-thingy.

Now, on to the fun part!

Lola and the Boy Next Door
This week's doll is Lola Nolan from Lola and the Boy Next Door.

(drumroll please)
*drumroll*

My thought-process as I designed Lola:
Instead of starting with the face, like I usually do, I started with hair. I knew that I wanted Lola to look different, original, I wanted her mostly to stand out. I wanted her features to be very plain, as well.
1)So I began with hair. I found some big stuff, some loud things. The whole time I thought: wig, wig, wig. Big wig. Big wig. Big wig. Man, that's a tongue-twister...
And then I went on to clothes.
2)I found a handful of shirts that were far from normal, and I kept those at the side, to go back to later. That's what I usually do.
3)When I moved on to bottoms, I knew I wanted either (A) A long skirt to go with a "regular" top (B) Normal jeans with an outrageous top or (C) leggings with a long top.
As you can see, I chose the third option. And it matches the wig, too!
4) At this point, I had gotten bored of my faceless Lola and took a break from clothes. I chose understated eyes, nose and mouth, and I think I wanted a "heart-shaped" face.
5) Shoes. I knew I wanted something loud, of course. And then it hit me: red boots. It matches the sweater-thing, goes up to the leggings, and is loud to perfectly off-set the black of the dress. When I realized I wanted red boots, I refused to settle for anything less. And I found something perfect.

I'm overall very happy with how Lola came out. Looking her over, I can't think of anything I wish I had done differently.

So any ideas on what I can officially call this meme? I'm clueless.
And if you've read Lola and the Boy Next Door, what do you think of my depiction of Lola?

Peace and costumes,
Riv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! Feel free to link to your own blog, but no spamming!
I respond to comments via email, if you're attached to blogger. If you're not, I use blogger's "reply" feature!