Welcome! I'm Riv Re, teenager and aspiring author. I post Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Tuesdays are for book reviews; Thursdays are for a weekly meme called "Character Dolls," which showcases character depictions I made online; and on Sundays I just wing it.
This blog is for my writing misadventures, my reviews, ramblings, and rants. My favorite genre is fantasy, so expect a lot of the unusual.

Warning: I've got an awful sense of humor. Don't blame me if you keel up and die from reading the jokes I crack.
Notice: I hold no responsibility for any deaths caused by previously mentioned jokes.

Enjoy and happy reading!

Current Book Showcase-Starling by Lesley Livingston Trailer!
(What's Book Showcase? Click HERE!)

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Writing and D&D (With Puppies!)

(I wrote this post a while ago. I'm only just posting it.)
Hey Blogger Buds,
I'm not an RPG fanatic, and even though I can recognize a Dungeons and Dragons cube, I'm not a dork, even if Julie Kagawa disagrees (scroll to the last picture).

Today, I combined my latest guilty pleasure and writing. I googled, "finding your character's kryptonite" and I was lead to a page about RPGing. (For those of you not in the know, that stands for Role Playing Game, and even though Role Playing Gaming doesn't make sense, to RPGers, it does, so too bad.) My interest was piqued (great word, ain't that?) and I decided to give it a look.

The page is right here. It's a bit long, but I recommend reading it anyways. I usually avoid long web pages, but I read it all.
It actually had some great writing advice. (And some not so great writing advice, but we're going to ignore that.) The topic was How To Play Heroically.

1)Find your character's kryptonite. Look into their past. Superman would be, as the original poster put it "a superbore" without one thing that can bring him down. (I can't believe I'm about to say this.) Take a lesson from math, graphing. Find your point of origin. Ex: Puppies
2)Find what your character reacts to automatically. A)One thing they'll fight to the death for no matter what Ex: Puppies B)And one thing they're terrified of. Ex: Puppies
3)You're in charge of your destiny. Make your book character-driven, have your character do something. Don't always have them consulting everyone else. I know there's no "i" in "team", but there's an "i" in "win". Thinking is smart (wow. that's the best I can come up with? "thinking is smart"?) but being sporadic (huh. "sporadic" is with a d...) can be fun! Ex: Head to the pound for a Pomeranian
4)Drama!. Yeah, not in excess, and not always. If you're writing one of those self-mocking dramatic stories, go for it! If not...try to fit the context. Ex: Start talking to a puppy
5)Get creative. Enough said. The original article goes in a different direction than I want to, here. Ex: Beagles
6)Don't be selfish. Your main character isn't the only one with goals. Ex: Kitties


Okay, in all seriousness (Ha! Me? Serious?) (I like parenthesis today.), listen to me, and check out that link.

"Real" examples:
1)Indiana Jones and artifacts (weakens his heart more than his body, but whatever.)
2) A)Indiana Jones and his Girl of the Day B)Indie and snakes
3)Indie and...well, Indie.
4)Do I really need to give an example?
5)I remember the best part of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Go to 1:10 here.
6)...I don't know...

So. What do YOU think of Pomeranians? (And Indie?)(And parenthesis?)

Peace and puppies,
Riv

1 comment:

  1. That is a great comparison. I'd never connected D&D and character development. Thanks for giving me something to think of.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! Feel free to link to your own blog, but no spamming!
I respond to comments via email, if you're attached to blogger. If you're not, I use blogger's "reply" feature!