Welcome! I'm Riv Re, teenager and aspiring author. I post Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Tuesdays are for book reviews; Thursdays are for a weekly meme called "Character Dolls," which showcases character depictions I made online; and on Sundays I just wing it.
This blog is for my writing misadventures, my reviews, ramblings, and rants. My favorite genre is fantasy, so expect a lot of the unusual.

Warning: I've got an awful sense of humor. Don't blame me if you keel up and die from reading the jokes I crack.
Notice: I hold no responsibility for any deaths caused by previously mentioned jokes.

Enjoy and happy reading!

Current Book Showcase-Starling by Lesley Livingston Trailer!
(What's Book Showcase? Click HERE!)

Monday, May 17, 2010

Dawn, Twilight, and Other Times of Day

I know I haven't been blogging lately, but that's because I've been thinking about what to blog.
So this thing isn't going to fail [yet].

I'm going to skip the synopsis of this book, since I assume you all know it. If not, climb out of your hole and make your way over to Amazon's Twilight Page.
So, I read this book a couple of months ago. I admit; it's a page-turner. I was talking to my sis a short while ago, and she doesn't know why it is. I think the writing is okay. I think the plot is okay, if a little bland. I think the characters are terrible. I think that the back-story of many of the characters is interesting. There's something about this book that makes you start the next chapter even though it's 3:00 AM. I think it's mainly the, "What happens next?" aspect of it. Even if a book or movie isn't that good, sometimes you're just plain curious. And I think Twilight is one of those books.

I mentioned my dislike of the characters before. What I mean is, all the characters are too perfect, or flawed in the wrong way.
Take Bella Swan for example; she's beautiful, kind, thoughtful, selfless and smart. Her only flaw? Her klutziness.
Edward Cullen: He's strong, smart, talented, gifted, fast, perfect, and best at everything. Meyer shows him having no real flaw. But, he is flawed; but not in the way Meyer meant him to be. He's controlling, selfish, and over-protective. He took the engine out of his girlfriend's car to keep her from visiting her friend.
Then you have Jacob Black. He's funny, considerate and friendly. But he's also selfish and obnoxious. What kind of boy black-mails the girl he loves into kissing him?

I think the plot is interesting. Vampire loves girl. Girl loves vampire. Wolf loves same girl. Same girl loves wolf too. This could get old after a while, but I find it interesting. I also liked how, in book four, you heard a bit from Jacob's POV.
I think Meyer does a good job at channeling all her humor into one character. She doesn't make her book humorous, but instead she has one character with all the jokes. What comes to mind when I think of this is Maggie Stiefvater's Lament. It's told from the POV of Deirdre Monaghan, but her best friend, James, holds all humor. Similarly, in the Twilight Saga, all of the humor is focused around Jacob Black. I find this a good choice because it doesn't ruin the feeling of the story, but at the same time it releases the tension that "Twihards" (ardent fans of Twilight) feel. For this reason, one of my favorite scenes is in book three, I think, when Bella is sleeping in the tent and Edward and Jacob are arguing about keeping her warm. Along with that, the line I find funniest is Jake's nickname for Carlisle; "Dr. Fang".
Anyways, I find that the series is, overall, average, and is so popular because teenage girls are looking for a little romance and the perfect boyfriend.
What bugs me most about the effect of the book? The werewolves. Since Twilight, people seem to think that werewolves are humans that change at will, like our friendly native-american-reservation-in-the-middle-of-a-town wold shifters. To all of my dear readers, if you're looking for a real werewolf, look to our resident WW, Remus John Lupin. (All questions can be directed by e-mail to me and I'll ask Remus personally. My contact info is below)

Anyways, that's my opinion of Twilight.
Until next time,
RR
****4 Stars

Current Mood: Calm
Current Music: Lucky St. by Cartel

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! Feel free to link to your own blog, but no spamming!
I respond to comments via email, if you're attached to blogger. If you're not, I use blogger's "reply" feature!