Welcome! I'm Riv Re, teenager and aspiring author. I post Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Tuesdays are for book reviews; Thursdays are for a weekly meme called "Character Dolls," which showcases character depictions I made online; and on Sundays I just wing it.
This blog is for my writing misadventures, my reviews, ramblings, and rants. My favorite genre is fantasy, so expect a lot of the unusual.

Warning: I've got an awful sense of humor. Don't blame me if you keel up and die from reading the jokes I crack.
Notice: I hold no responsibility for any deaths caused by previously mentioned jokes.

Enjoy and happy reading!

Current Book Showcase-Starling by Lesley Livingston Trailer!
(What's Book Showcase? Click HERE!)

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday Thoughts: The Hunger Games

As promised, I'm reviewing the Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.

Blurb:

COULD YOU SURVIVE ON YOUR OWN, IN THE WILD, WITH EVERYONE FIGHTING AGAINST YOU?

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives.
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.
Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


I actually love this book. I think it's well-written and poses like-able characters. I do think the book is plot-driven, but that is a necessity as part of the games. You see Katniss' consideration and daring from the beginning. I also like how romance is a necessity in the book. It's not a common theme, like in any plain YA romance, but it's a key plot device.
I find the way Haymitch, District 12's drunk mentor, is portrayed is interesting and humorous. He's condescending, genius, drunk, and sober all at the same time.
As for as characters go, I like certain side characters. Gale, Rue and even Haymitch. The way Katniss constantly  compares Peeta to Gale could be irritating, by Suzanne Collins balances it out perfectly.
The book has some basic themes: loyalty, friendship, love, family, faith. I definitely recommend it, and I look forward to book three, Mockingjay. (Book two is Catching Fire.) I hope I don't keel up and die from impatience as I await August 24th. This trilogy is definitely on my wish list!

I may have my sister or a friend of mine guest-write a mini-review for this. Both R (classmate) and T (sis) are reading it.
RR
********8 Stars

Current Music: Fortunate by Cartel
Current Mood: Calm

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book too. So did my daughter. She's read it and Catching Fire many times. We can't wait for August 24th either. Guess who'll read the book first? Not me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazinggg book- and im jealous you live in NY- always keep your dreams alive!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to read this book. Everyone is raving about it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I bought this book a couple month ago, but because I've got about 20 books "next in line" I couldn't decide what to read next and you've pushed me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! Feel free to link to your own blog, but no spamming!
I respond to comments via email, if you're attached to blogger. If you're not, I use blogger's "reply" feature!