Welcome! I'm Riv Re, teenager and aspiring author. I post Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Tuesdays are for book reviews; Thursdays are for a weekly meme called "Character Dolls," which showcases character depictions I made online; and on Sundays I just wing it.
This blog is for my writing misadventures, my reviews, ramblings, and rants. My favorite genre is fantasy, so expect a lot of the unusual.

Warning: I've got an awful sense of humor. Don't blame me if you keel up and die from reading the jokes I crack.
Notice: I hold no responsibility for any deaths caused by previously mentioned jokes.

Enjoy and happy reading!

Current Book Showcase-Starling by Lesley Livingston Trailer!
(What's Book Showcase? Click HERE!)

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Catchup Week: Percy Jackson Midway Mention


Hey bloggy buds,
Well, I didn't plan on doing PJ, but I'm not halfway through any other book at present, so I'm doing this one.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
I mentioned this yesterday, I think, but I hate plot-driven books. They get on my nerves. I like a book with an active character. Yes, I understand, certain things have to be plot-driven, but I think a lot of it should be done by Percy. And I'm just not seeing it.
PJ seems to be doing stupid things and getting on my nerves. Besides for accepting everything and taking it all in stride (something I noticed in Tyger, Tyger, too), he's acting dumb. Someone died early on and now, without a second thought, Percy has decided he's going to go to the Underworld and rescue this dead character. Never mind that they're dead, he wants them out. Very irritating.
Yeah, I get it, he's upset and 12, but think. Plus, I feel like he's going about things the wrong way.
But I do like the basic idea. Rick Riordan is brilliant, but he could put it together better.
So far, 3*

Peace,
RR

Current Music: The Minstrel's Prayer by Cartel
Current Mood: Tired Exhausted

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I've been wanting to read this. I don't know if I'd like it but it's such a phenomenon that I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this book a few months ago because people kept telling me I should read it but I haven't gotten too far into it. I think I might have enjoyed this book a lot more when I was younger. It just feels very young, which is fine because it is a YA book. But I doesn't seem to me to be one of those YA books that appeals to all ages.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! Feel free to link to your own blog, but no spamming!
I respond to comments via email, if you're attached to blogger. If you're not, I use blogger's "reply" feature!