Welcome! I'm Riv Re, teenager and aspiring author. I post Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Tuesdays are for book reviews; Thursdays are for a weekly meme called "Character Dolls," which showcases character depictions I made online; and on Sundays I just wing it.
This blog is for my writing misadventures, my reviews, ramblings, and rants. My favorite genre is fantasy, so expect a lot of the unusual.

Warning: I've got an awful sense of humor. Don't blame me if you keel up and die from reading the jokes I crack.
Notice: I hold no responsibility for any deaths caused by previously mentioned jokes.

Enjoy and happy reading!

Current Book Showcase-Starling by Lesley Livingston Trailer!
(What's Book Showcase? Click HERE!)

Friday, July 9, 2010

Get to Know Your Characters: High School

Hey blogger buds,
Tomorrow I plan to do a non-IMM (In My Mailbox) of a lovely package I won in a contest. (Including bookmarks! Yay!) On Sunday, I should havy my inkpop.com entry finished (I really want to enter!) in which case you'll have a spam post about that.
But today, I'm here to give you an idea for getting to know your characters! I've seen many different suggestions involving asking your characters questions, but today I'm here with my own idea!
This only applies to writers working in ether-realms and such. If the character you want to get to know is IN high school, this isn't for you. But I am totally doing this for my characters.
Basic idea:
Your un-schooled character in a high school in 2010*. (Recent times. Not, like, the 1400s.)
What to do:
1)Choose a character. Remember, if the character is in HS in your book, this will be boring.
2)Choose what the character keeps. Meaning: Does he keep his clothes and/or weapons? Or only his appearance (hair, eye, skin, height, weight, etc) and personality.
3)Public or Private? Will your character be in a public school or a private one?
4)The Deets. Work out the details. What grade? What courses?
5)Write it. When you finish picking all of this, open a new Word document and write how your characters day will be. It doesn't have to be a whole novel. It can be just a rough-draft. You don't even need descriptions of much; just get your character and their opinions in there! It could be 200 words, it could be 20,000. Just write it.
6)Comment and blog it! I'd love to know if you choose to do this challenge thing! Post it onto your blog, so everyone can get to know your character, and leave a comment here letting me know that you're trying it out!
Note: It doesn't have to be high school. If your character is junior high age, or college, don't stick to high school! Do whatever fits!
How you gain: Your character was stuck in their own world (literally). This is your chance to see what they're like outside of their comfort zone

As for me, I haven't had a chance to write it yet, but I'm brainstorming. I've got plans, a character, and I'm quite sure that this will help you get to know your character!

Peace,
RR

Current Music: Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson
Current Mood: A bit hungry (I should fix that...)

*Soz bloggy buds, I know it's summer!


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I mainly write non-fiction, so typically I don't work with characters; though I can see where this would really help with character development. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! Feel free to link to your own blog, but no spamming!
I respond to comments via email, if you're attached to blogger. If you're not, I use blogger's "reply" feature!